Saturday, June 30, 2012

Birthing Experiences

Though I do not have any children, I have experienced a birth with a close friend. During the birth of her child we sat with her through cotractions until it was delivery time. After delivery we were able to visit  again.  I chose this experience because I was there throughout the whole process.

I researched traditional African births and found that most women give birth alone or with a doula but still secluded from the rest of the tribe.  The difference I found is that these women take pride in facing the pains of birth but most American women prefer use of pain medicines as well as giving birth in hospitals rather than home births.

2 comments:

  1. Megan,

    I find it interesting that you mentioned that you mentioned that you were with you friend through most of the birthing process and in Africa most of the women give birth alone. In the United States we have made it more of a celebration of life and invite everyone to be there and share in our joy. This provides yet another assumption for me because I just assume that everyone wants to share this special occassion with their family and friends. I wonder if this is more of a societial decision or a cultural decision? What do you think?

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Megan,
    You must have extraordinary images in mind and still very present emotions from the delivery. I envy your experience because I wanted to see my daughter’s birth. My husband had brought the camera to document the event but as he was busy helping me, he could not take any pictures. We returned home with our precious daughter, wonderful memories but no pictures.
    I am also intrigued by more natural and more loving ways to give birth, and I am wondering if African women with their doula’s help have a way to tame the pain.

    ReplyDelete