Saturday, July 7, 2012

Health and Child Development

Nutrition/Malnutrition


Nutrition is affects how a child develops, learns and grows.  When a child is suffering from malnutrition death could be the ultimate result.  I choose this topic because as I work daily in my classroom I see children who seem to eat normally and one that may eat several plates of food.  I never like to see a child hungry.

As I researched the topic I found that:

Malnutrition is more common in India than in Sub-Saharan Africa. One in every three malnourished children in the world lives in India.


In India, around 46 per cent of all children below the age of three are too small for their age, 47 per cent are underweight and at least 16 per cent are wasted. Many of these children are severely malnourished.


I know that here in America majority of children do not suffer from malnutrition to the extent of India but there are malnourished children in our country; it may not be from starving but from not receiving proper medical care.  As a early childhood professional it is my duty to see that all children under my care are receiving proper nutrition and to tack action if not.


http://www.unicef.org/india/children_2356.htm

1 comment:

  1. It is very sad to hear that there are children who go to bed hungry each night. Malnutrition is beyond being hungry. Malnutrition affects children greatly. From my reading the brain is the last part to be affected. That is a miracle because it allows for help to come, if any comes. In some cases help will never be on its way.

    ReplyDelete