Saturday, April 18, 2015

Profile a Volunteer

Volunteering is a major part of my life, I volunteer on a regular basis with my alumnae sorority. Our focus in our community is working with young children, we plan events that supply children with school supplies, host programs that give children resources and education on STEM, and collect shoes for children in need just to name a few of our projects. More recently we have taken on a project where we mentor young ladies in middle and high school. For my personal journey as a volunteer I have a long way to go, I am passionate about many things and need to choose a specific area that I would like to dedicate my life to helping. There is someone in my chapter that I look up to because of her volunteer efforts in many different states. She is a former veteran and dedicates herself to volunteer efforts for troops and former veterans. She hosts Operation Stand Down yearly which supports homeless veterans, she also has her own foundation that supports her causes.  She has lived in several states due to her husbands job but in each city she continues her volunteer efforts. Her efforts and foundation has supported hundreds of veterans and troops. I aspire to become a volunteer on the level that she is.  Seeing and being apart of her journey has taught me a lot, but all her efforts are truly driven by her passion.  Having passion and persistence is just one of the things she has taught me, but she has also shown me how to become a better volunteer and leader.

2 comments:

  1. Megan, thank you for sharing your experience. I have also helped out several years with Stand Down at the local armory where I live before and it is really cool to be able to help out the homeless veterans. I agree with the statement that you made though about having a long way to go on your journey as a volunteer. I do as well. I think that volunteering is a journey in many ways. Thank you for sharing and good luck to you with your volunteering experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed reading your Blogs and discussion post over the past 7 weeks. I, also help with the food pantry at my church. We give out food to the community twice a month it is very rewarding. I always here good things about sororities working in the community. Thanks for all you do to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete