Saturday, April 11, 2015

Using Social Media to Get Connected

Social media has grown to become a way of life for most people. I remember being in college when Facebook was first introduced and you where required to be a college student to join. Now it has grown into a major part of communication with people across the world.  There was a time where I was very active in social media, but now I have began to be more selective with how and why I use my social media accounts.
Social media is important to advocacy because social media is the fastest way to reach a mass amount of people, videos go "viral" in a matter of minutes.  Advocacy organizations can take advantage of reaching people and raising awareness for their issue by creating unique ads, videos, announcements and etc to posted on facebook, twitter, instagram just to name a few sites.
For my own personal use of social media as an advocacy tool would mean sharing my thoughts on issues on my pages and account, sharing advocacy organizations missions with others on my social media outlets, and joing advocacy organizations on the social media sites.

3 comments:

  1. I recently broke my phone and lost all of my contacts, I felt disconnected from everyone. I put a post on my facebook page stating that I needed everyone to text or inbox me their information, less than an hour I was back connected. So, I know firsthand that social media is a great way to reach a large group of people quickly. Thanks for sharing great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is better to be selective about what social media sights that you use because there will be someone out there that will try to find out information with regards to children and then do them harm. Unfortunately it is more important than ever that people be careful. I agree with you though that social media is a great place to share my personal thoughts and is a good way to bring advocacy issues up front to people's attention. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you regarding social media and being selective of the different forms of social media. I still feel that face to face is still the best way to communicate. Social media is a wonderful place to share thoughts and it allows so many people to learn about so many various issues regarding children.

    ReplyDelete