Sunday, June 16, 2013

Personal Side of bias, prejudice, and oppresion

In my personal life I have experienced biases or prejudices. When I was in high school we had new coaches come to our school. One day I was in the hallway and the coach who was an African American female and told me it was good that i was on the cheerleading team, because I was the only black girl on the team. The statement really upset me because in someway she meant to be a good statement but for me it was why shouldn't I be on the team. Though I did not like the comment I continued to cheer on the team, and members of the team became my best friends. In this situation the coach could have taken the time to get to know me better personally and see that I was not the type of person who felt uncomfortable on the team but actually liked to be in a diverse crowd.

2 comments:

  1. Meghan, thanks for sharing. I really think that people at times don't realize how much of an impact their mean. Did you ever tell the coach how it made you feel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how that may have make you feel but coming from a high school that didn't allow blacks to be cheerleaders I understand what she meant. Though you didn't feel uncomfortable being a cheerleader on the squad, she probably remembers when they wouldn't allow black cheerleaders on the squad. Maybe she had seen the horrible things that happen when people don't want you around. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete