Monday, June 3, 2013

Microaggression

I can remember observing an occasion that classifies as a microaggression.  I witnessed a director speaking with a parent who was fluent in spanish and spoke very little English. The parent was speaking little a mix of English and Spanish, the director was saying I do not understand with clear frustration.  The parent had a look of defeat and confusion with trying to explain. The parent walked away from the conversation.  As I watched this situation I felt bad for the parent because she clearly felt degraded for not being able to speak English as well.  The director had power over her in this situation. This is a clear example of bias and discrimination. The director feels that because this is America the parent should be fluent in English.  Discrimination is very evident in our everyday life.

1 comment:

  1. Megan, I have seen what you are describing in my school too. I get so angry when people say things like, "They're in this country now. They need to learn the language"! And you're right. Discrimination is very evident in our everyday life.

    ReplyDelete